A Glimpse Into
All 25 suites are named after legendary guests and patrons of the hotel.
The Algonquin Opens1902The Algonquin opened on November 22, 1902. Single rooms cost $2 dollars a night while larger three bedroom accommodations cost $10. The hotel was originally planned to be residential but found short term guests to be more profitable.
The Annex1904The two story horse stable next to the Algonquin was purchased. A year later the third floor was added. Over the years the annex housed a barber shop, apartments, a supper club, a rehearsal studio, and several different restaurants.
The Round Table’s First Lunch1919In the summer of 1919 a group of writers met in the Pergola Room for a party and came to have lunch at the Algonquin every day after that for the next 10 years. Frank Case moved them out into the main dining and the world was introduced to the Vicious Circle.
The First Resident Cat1923Billy the cat was a very friendly feline that lived in the hotel for 15 years. Two days after his death a stray cat wandered in looking for food. Frank Case immediately adopted the cat and named him Rusty. He was eventually renamed Hamlet and begins the long lineage of cats that live in the hotel.
The New Yorker is Founded1925After winning a handsome amount of money in a poker game against other Round Table Members, Harold Ross finances and creates The New Yorker.
Blue Bar Opens1933When prohibition ends Frank Case reopens the bar in the hotel. John Barrymore convinces Case to place blue gels over the lights as one looks more attractive under such lighting. The Blue Bar has been a part of the hotel since.
New York Drama Critics Circle Awards1936On March 25, 1936 the members of the Critics Circle meet and argue for three hours in a room in the hotel trying to vote for a winner. A week later, during a dinner reception at the Algonquin, the award is presented to Maxwell Anderson’s Winterset.
The Bodnes Purchase the Algonquin1946In 1924, Ben and Mary Bodne honeymoon at the Algonquin and fall in love with the hotel. Ben promised his new bride he will buy it for her one day. When Frank Case passed away in 1946 and the hotel was put up for sale, Ben Bodne purchases the hotel fulfilling his promise.
The Oak Room1981The Oak Room opens as a cabaret bringing a new era to The Algonquin. The Oak room launches the careers of Harry Connick Jr., Diana Kroll, Michael Feinstein, Peter Cincotti, and Andrea Marcovicci.
The $10,000 Martini2004A young gentleman pops the question to his girlfriend in big style and purchases the first $10,000 Martini. He surprises her in the Blue Bar and she immediately accepts. When all is said and done the proposal cost almost $13,000.
The Modern Algonquin2012The hotel closes for nine months and undergoes a complete top to bottom $5 million renovation. The hotel reopens with a stunning new look designed by famed interior designer Alexandra Champalimaud.
CLOSE TO IT ALL
Located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan, this jewel of historic New York hotels commands the center of 44th Street, close to the bustling heart of Times Square and Fifth Avenue.
THE HIPPODROME THEATRELocated on Sixth Avenue, the theater was the largest in the world from 1905 through 1939. The capacity of the theater was 5,300 and its stage was 12 times larger than any Broadway house. The theater could house elephants and also had a 8,000 gallon clear water tank that could be raised above stage for water performances.
Harvard Club35 W 44th Street – Founded in 1865 and designed by McKim, Mead & White, the club is a private establishment exclusively for alumni and staff of the University. The club offers sleeping rooms, restaurants and beautiful space for events.
The New Yorker28 W 44th street was the magazine’s second office in which they occupied 7 floors from 1935-1991. The New Yorker is now part of the Conde Nast family and currently resides at One World Trade Center.
THE LAMBS CLUB132 W 44th Street – The official American home to “The Lambs” opened in 1905 and was the first professional theatrical club. Also designed by Mckim, Mead & White the three story building consisted of a theater, restaurant and sleeping quarters.
General Society of Mechanics20 W 44th Street – Founded in 1785 this organization has celebrated over 230 years of service to the people of NYC. This building is the fifth home of the society and was opened in 1899.
The Yale Club44th St and Vanderbilt - Designed by Yale alumni James Gamble Rogers, this current location of the Club opened in 1915. Membership is exclusive to alumni and facility, The Yale Club has the largest membership with 11,000 members worldwide.
Conde Nast Publications19-25 W 44th Street – Conde Nast moved the offices of his magazines from Fifth Ave to 44th St in 1919. It was in the Vanity Fair offices that Dorothy Parker, Robert Benchley and Robert Sherwood became lifelong friends.
“Legendary Algonquin manager and owner Frank Case enjoyed the company of actors and writers, and he was instrumental at positioning the hotel at the center of New York’s literary and theatrical life.”